Frequently Asked Questions
2018/19 Girls U11 (3/4) Team
1. What are the goals of the U11 program?
The primary goal of our recreational U11 program is to have fun! Lacrosse is an exciting, faced-paced sport with lots of action, ball movement, and scoring. As our young players are being introduced to this fabulous sport, they will learn the fundamentals of cradling, catching, throwing, ground ball pickups (the ball spends a LOT of time on the ground as we learn to catch and throw!), shooting, and defensive positioning. They will develop a basic understanding of the game, how to work together as a team, and build camaraderie. Coaches will not only provide players with the opportunity to learn lacrosse, but also emphasize honoring the game, themselves, and their opponents.
2. How many games does the team play and who are our opponents?
The U11 age group will have a regular 8 game schedule beginning in the Spring 2018 season, rather than the jamboree format of the past. The team will play opponents from all over the Puget Sound area, including Tacoma, Puyallup, Bainbridge Island, Seattle, Bellevue, and Auburn, to name a few. Approximately 50% of the team's schedule will be home games.
3. Who will coach the program?
This is a great question! GHL is a recreational program, which means we rely on volunteer coaches, as well as an all-volunteer board, to keep our club going. All of our current coaches began coaching when one of their children began playing lacrosse! The club supplies certification training and will work closely with new coaches to get them up and running with their team. It is exciting to learn right along side your player, so please consider volunteering to become a coach. No prior lacrosse experience is necessary. In addition to coaching, there are many other opportunities for parents to become involved such as: sideline manager, timer, scorekeeper, field liner, and team parent. Each of these roles provides a chance to learn more about the game and be close to the action!
4. When does the program begin and end?
The U11 team will start practicing the week of February 26, 2019. Practice location and times won't be available until mid-February, but players can expect to have two 1.5 hour practices per week. Games will begin on March 24, 2019, and end with the End of Season Jamboree which will be held at the Starfire Complex in Tukwila, WA on June 1, 2019. All U11 players are expected to play in the end of season jamboree.
5. What equipment do players need?
The following equipment is required of each female player:
- Lacrosse Goggles - Required (supplied by player)
- Lacrosse Stick - Required (supplied by player)
- Mouth Guard - Required (cannot be white, or clear) (supplied by player)
- Gloves - Optional
- Outdoor Cleats - Required (supplied by player)
- Jersey - Required for Games (loaned to player by club and must be returned at end of season)
- Skort - Required for Games (supplied by club for player to keep)
- Practice Pinnies - Required (loaned to player by club and must be returned at end of season)
- Players without required equipment will not be allowed to practice or participate in games.
6. Do you have rental equipment available?
We do not provide girls lacrosse rental gear. We do provide all goalie protective equipment, including a stick for our goalies. If your player has the desire to play goalie, please speak with your coach.
7. Are physicals required? Are new concussion forms required?
Physicals are not required at the U11 level. Sudden Cardiac Arrest & Concussion forms are required to be on file before a player can practice. You can download the form from the GHLA website (www.gigharborlacrosse.com) under the “Documents” tab in the left menu bar.
Signed cardiac arrest and concussion forms are required before players can practice and are good for one year from the date of signing.
8. Program Cost and Registration
Please refer to the red "Register Online" tab on the left for registration information, timelines, and payment. Player cost is $350. Every player MUST have a current US Lacrosse membership good through June 30, 2019 ($30 paid directly to US Lacrosse) in order to be eligible to register and participate in practice & games. http://www.uslacrosse.org/membership.aspx